Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Party planning wreck!

Someone please tell me why planning a party for your child's 1st birthday is so stressful. Granted, I probably shouldn't have waited until 2 weeks before to send out an evite or decide on a theme or food or favors or what kind of cake to order or if I want to try and make a cake that won't embarrass myself or my daughter years later or games to play for a crowd of mostly adults but still kid-friendly or music and DEEP BREATH!!!!!!!!!!!!! And how on Earth did the number of guests attending manage to approach 30 and where am I going to put 30 people in my house and where are they going to sit and do we have enough toilet paper for 30 people to use over the course of 2 hours and oh my God the party is Saturday and the only thing I have accomplished is buying decorations with matching plates, cups, and napkins (of which I only bought 16!!!) and a balloon bouquet from the party store! I am seriously bordering on a panic attack reminiscent of planning my wedding which left me covered in hives from head to toe and I really don't want to go through that again. And I only had final veto power because I had pretty much stressed myself out with all the decisions to the point that I just turned everything over to Doug and my mom. Dr. S., where are you with your prescription pad when I need you???

I am trying to relax and take deep breaths and make yet another list so everything will seem less daunting. Here is what I have left to do by Saturday:

1. Go to grocery store for everything involved in baking a cake and about 3 dozen cupcakes. We're going to have everyone decorate their own to take home as favors. Cute idea or no?

2. Also at the grocery store, buy everything involved in making our own meat, cheese, veggie, and possibly fruit trays. Maybe I can combine the fruit and veggies. Ugh! No more decisions! See. It's not even the big ones that get me.

3. Bake cake and cupcakes. Baking is the easy part. It's the decorating I'm worried about.

4. Make tons of buttercream for cake and cupcakes. Without leaving my kitchen covered in powdered sugar.

5. Shop for a birthday outfit for Sydney.

6. Shop for favor bags.

7. Shop for kid-friendly yet adultworthy music. I'm thinking Barenaked Ladies.

8. Pick up balloon bouquet from party store. This should be easy as the balloons are already picked out and paid for. Let's just hope they don't deflate in the cold weather when I pick them up.

9. Figure out games to play. I'm at a loss here. Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. Don't stress! Seriously! It's a 2 hour party - get the pre-made veggie and fruit trays, don't worry about a theme and just try to relax. She'll pick up on your distress and stress out herself.

    Hey - why not make hubby plan the party, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I'll help anyway I can, She gets agitated easy when we are shopping together. And gets frustrated easily when there are more than 2 choices. Like she said I had to do most of the last minute wedding planning because she has to be medicated (hives are scary looking)... I will do as much as I can without getting in her way... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only because you somehow end up giving me more choices than I had anticipated and/or planned for! But that's ok. I still love you because you put up with all my neuroses :) I might even love you more for that haha!

    ReplyDelete