Monday, May 11, 2009

Rash race

This weekend was a bit more than I bargained for. Friday night my friend and I drove out to the harbor to pick up our race packets. On the way there we were talking about my tonsillitis and the fact that I was broken out in a rash ALL OVER MY BODY! She looked at my arms and was like "Yeah, penicillin allergy. Logan's looked like that a couple of years ago." Not that Sarah is a board-certified physician (structural engineer, actually), but I took her word that it definitely wasn't razor burn like I had initially thought (it was only on my legs Thursday, then Friday I noticed it had spread to my stomach, back, and arms) and called the urgent care place that gave me the meds to see what I should do.

When I finally got a nurse on the phone, she told me to stop taking the meds and take 25mg of Benadryl every 6 hours instead. I did. At 9pm on Friday night. Meaning I should take my next one at 3am, just a few hours before we had to leave for the 5k. It's a good thing the Benadryl knocked me out cold because I almost slept through my alarm at 6am and actually hit snooze until 6:30. So I was conscious for the run. And still very rashy. I'm pretty sure noone wanted to be next to me because I looked like a leper, especially after the run. The heat/sweat did not help my cause. Or the itch. Maybe I should have rethought the shorts and worn my capris instead.

Anywho, the race was fun. We walked more than we ran, but still finished in under 50 minutes. We lingered long enough to buy a single dose of benadryl from the hotel store and headed towards home. On the way, I called my doctor's triage line to talk to a nurse about the rash, and to see if I could get a referral to the urgent care place to get a shot or something for my reaction to the meds. Thinking it would take maybe an hour max, Doug, Sydney and I all trekked to the doctor because I was going to need a ride home after the Benadryl I took at 9:30am. I signed in at 11:12am and didn't see a doctor until 3pm! All the while, we had a very HUNGRY and TIRED baby, one slightly irritated husband, God bless him, and one benadryl-induced patient who only wanted to sleep. A few nurses kept coming into our room to see if Sydney wanted to color or wanted stickers. We said no. She wants lunch and a nap. Nothing else is going to keep her from wailing but you obvisouly don't seem to care or you would send the doctor in to see me RIGHT NOW! Not that we said those last words, but oh how very tempted we were.

Anyway, the doctor finally came in, asked a few questions, looked at the rash, and decided on a shot of benadryl (YAY more nappy time for mommy!) and a single dose pack of steroids. I headed out to the car about 10 minutes later where Doug and Sydney were waiting. We got home, fed Sydney a quick lunch of turkey and string cheese and put her down for a nap. She probably would have slept all night but we woke her up at 6:30 to get ready for dinner with Sarah and Logan. She didn't have any problems getting back to sleep around 9 when we got home. It was definitely a LONG day for all.

Here are some pics from the run.

Getting started. How very very cruel to make us pass by Potbelly's so early in the race. And cakelove too! Thank goodness they were both closed or I may have veered off course :)



Sydney and Doug had a bit of downtime waiting for us to finish. Here, she poses under a giant hand in front of the Wilson bridge, the bain of any commuter's existence in the DC area for the last gazillion years, mine included until I discovered the commuter bus, but that's another story entirely!



Coming up around the bend...



I was determined to pass the two girls in blue and yellow after many lead changes throughout the race! Side note - cakelove is to the right of us here!



Almost.



There.



Ahhhh! We did it!



Sydney knows what mommy needs :)



This coming Saturday Doug and I are running the National Police Week 5k downtown. My goal is to beat my 48:47 time from this race. We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the race! My sister's friend just had scarlet fever! Apparently it's like strep throat with a rash - crazy.

    ReplyDelete